X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what works best out of a pattern master

I jut got my patternmaster and i was wondering what shells you guys like the best for the choke
    thanks,
    Charlie

I know of many guys using the newer heavier that lead brands, but I found that Winchester Supreme HV shoot and pattern very well from the X2 patternmaster combo, and our group uses this setup with success frequently.

Comment

My buddies and I are all firm beleavers in the Pattern Master. Its one sweet choke tube.We found that Faststeel #1's hold a good pattern.

Comment

I shoot Faststeel #2 for ducks and BBB for geese.

Comment

Judging by the varied answers above I don't think you will get one "best" answer to your question but I've had very good results with 3" Hevi-Shot, 1 1/4 oz., #4 or #6.

Comment

do you think there is a difference between 3" and 3 1/2" out of the standard because the extended range one says it works best with 3 1/2"

Comment

Charlie,

I have used all sizes of steel shot from BB to 4 with great success. I have also used both Hevi-Shot and Matrix with good results. My prefered combination for geese is my Pattern Master and #4 and #6 Hevi-Shot. If I am gunning divers, I prefer to use my Pattern Master with #4 Fasteel. You should try your favorite waterfowl load. I am sure it will enhance the performance of your favorite waterfowl load.

Comment

I have paterned over 100 shot/choke/gun combos. this summer. While I did (for a while) own a patternmaster. I did not do the patterning and testing then (when I owned the gun/choke)like I do now, but I didn't notice a incredible differance in my shooting.
                But, what I did learned from all of that, was that conventional type chokes work. This summer before shooting all that paper, I have called up to Black Earth, Wis., and asked if they have had the tubes tested independently, they said "No". I decided before spending close to $100 on another. I would see what my currant gun/choke/shell combos would shoot.
                I tested at the standard 40 yrds. at a 30" cirle with no wind, and 70 degree temps. (or so). I went through chokes Mod.-I.M.-Full. I used 14 differnt loads. There were some brands that shot tighter than others through each gun/choke combo, but not signifcantly. That is, according to there respective choke designation
                I then stepped off another 10 yrds. Pretty much the same results, only somewhat more open, as you would expect.
                I will continue to test load/gun/choke combos next summer again. But, before I buy a after market choke of any kind, I will make sure that the retailer I buy my choke from will take it back in return. If I find that it doesn't measure up. I am a tight wad, I just can't afford spending that kind of money on a choke, unless I can be assured that it will preform significantly better than what I have now. Would you buy a car just cause someone told you it was better? Remember, they are trying to sell chokes for a living.
                You will notice I did not tell you what type of gun or what shell I found to be the best for me. That is becouse every gun is differnt. If you read L.P. Brenzy, Tom Rooster, Mike McIntosh, Dave Trevallion, W. Mathewson, Steve Hughes, Bob Brister, Don Zutz, Stan Baker, Tom Gough, Gerald Burrard, or Joe Manton's writings they all say very similar things (from what I take away). DIFFERANCE in diameter of inside barrel demensions (constriction) is what makes a chokes work. Wether that be a "jug" choke "parallel" choke, or one of the other types, I have read nowhere that stopping the wad will help patterns. Think about those slow-motion pictures you see taken at the muzzle of a gun. At 1" out of the barrel, the shot charge is already ahead of the wad 1/2".

Anyway, I got to go kill a goose. More later maybe, as I have time. Just don't believe everything you hear or read!

Matt

Comment

Mine tears the crap outta geese, with 3" HV #3's.
                  I bagged my last 4 honkers with that load and shot combo. Though............ with GHG decoys and my great calling....how could they resist coming in within feet of me

Comment

Fowlquest,

I have a couple of the "original" Patternmasters. If memory serves, Mike See, the guy who designed them, told me they were originally made for buckshot. BTW, they work awesome for buckshot, I know this because I patterned my gun with it. Unlike anything I have ever shot before.

But, I use them for goose hunting, and I think they pattern better with bigger shot. I use Hevi-shot 3" #2's, Winchester Supreme 3 1/2" #BB, and Kent # 1/2" #BB. For ducks, I still prefer the bigger shot with PM, 2's in steel and 4's in hevi-shot.

If you get one, as with any other choke, you will still need to see how it works out of your gun to see what works best.

Comment

thanks alot

Comment

I am not saying they do or they don't work. I believe confidence in what your shooting has alot to do with success. I will try more chokes next summer.

I am puzzled however. Winchester now is introducing a "Xtended Range Hi-Denisty Turkey Load". From the info I gather, it is a "heavier than lead" type shot with a wad that has NO split petals. That is, as I understand it, means that they are intending, or at least infering, that the wad will stay with the shot charge longer. Hence "holding" the shot charge together longer down range.
                        That is a bold contradiction in what the "Patternmaster" guys are saying. That "the wad IS the problem in holding shot charges together down range".
                        I am not from Missouri, but "Show Me". don't tell me.
                        Both can't be right.

Matt

Oh, here is a neat website for those of you that do pattern your guns
                        www.shotgun-insight.com

Comment

Working...
                        X