X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Homemade stubble straps

Does anybody have any ideas on how to make homemade stubble straps for a layout boat? It is made of fiberglass and the surface cannot be punctured in anyway. It is similar to a momarsh fatboy in style.. im kind of stuck for ideas here. Thanks!

Maybe make some type of net type thing that would be about the size of stubble straps that you could just lay on your boat? Like Mesh, but with bigger gaps to put the stubble in. I'm not sure how to go about doing it or what you would need, but its a thought...

Comment

Removable suction cups,you could tie off on the handle,no damage to the surface,might have to spray paint them to blend in.
      http://www.harborfreight.com/4-1-2-h...cup-40993.html

Comment

Along with the other ideas, i've considered making my own stubble straps also. Some netting, as well as the suction type idea, seems to be pretty slick. I am planning on taking white t-shirts, cutting them in strips and dying them the color that i want. Not sure how well it will work or if there is a better fabric out there, but time will tell. It will probably be on off-season project unless I have time to do it here in the near future. Right now I use smaller raffia bunches tied to my stubble straps of my blind that I have dusted with different colors of spray paint. My blind isn't covered, just enough to add depth to the camo pattern already on the blind. You definately want to use natural foliage to fill in the holes though, it blends in better as a whole.
        Last edited by HoosierHonkerNut; 10-26-2011, 11:15 AM.

Comment

If I'm not mistake layout boats are illegal in MN, and I'm just gathering that from your location that your a Minnesotan. Did you mean just like a canoe or maybe using it out of state? Not trying to hassle you just wondering. I think maybe the suction cup idea would work well though.

Comment

it is not the same sort of layout boats as you see in the sea duck hunts or on the great lakes.. there is a vegetation rule in MN so you can layout as long as there is a certain amount of emergent vegetation to cover you

Comment

I used snow fencing on my layout boat, attached with velcro strips. I painted the fencing to reduce shine then stuffed and ziptied brush to it and it looks great. Haven't had a problem with the velcro coming undone.

Comment

Originally posted by TheFinisher12 View Post
                it is not the same sort of layout boats as you see in the sea duck hunts or on the great lakes.. there is a vegetation rule in MN so you can layout as long as there is a certain amount of emergent vegetation to cover you
                Sounds good man! I was just wondering.

Comment

Aero Outdoors .com sells a ez -fab mesh that is tan colored called dead grass.They sell it in strips of left overs or by the roll . Then just velcro it on like Moses did. You can get sticky tape velcro at walmart. They use it to build duck blinds.

Comment

By the way, Moses that layout boat looks great.

Comment

Just wanna clarify, I didn't use velcro but I presume that would actually be a good idea, I used zip-ties to attach the 2" plastic fence.

Comment

Working...
                      X