X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remington Ethics??

So I want to start by saying I don’t believe much of what the media says, things can be very bias. With that being said; did anyone catch that bit on Rock Center about Remington? It was pretty interesting. I have always stood by my 870, and have never had an issue with it (with the exception of my wife’s NEW 870). The older models IMO are one of the most solid shotguns ever made. I have known about the discharge issue for a while and last year a kid was killed in my town from a Remington 700.
    For those of you that know about the accidental discharge situation with some of Remington’s guns; what are your thoughts? I’m not trying to start a bashing fest but I’m curious to hear what everyone thinks. I guess the real question would be how do you feel Remington is handling the issue? The claim on Rock Center was that Remington has known about this for years and swept it under the rug.

remingtons response to this

http://www.respectremington.tv/#/home

Comment

If it is true, then Remington needs to be shut down. If it is not true then Remington needs to prove that it isn't.

I know I personally will never buy another Remington product, for this reason and other quality control issues I personally have seen with Remington Firearms. Rifle and Shotgun.

Comment

as far as the remington 870 i have four 870's two from the 60's and two supermags there is a differnce between the two super mags in the way they both run the older one is smoother and better built but in this day of cutting corners and cutting costs that is to expected some things are going to fall to the way side.

i have been around the 700 trigger since i started hunting the first center fire rifle i started out with was a model 721 and that is one of the smoothest actions i have ever been around, the trigger in that rifle will hold a 1lb trigger and lighter every day yes you have to have the saftey set to fire inorder to empty the rifle since there was no box magazine.

the 700 trigger that has caused remingiton nothing but problems is a great trigger that can be tuned to the shooters liking, i can see in the hands of someone that doesnt understand how to adjust a trigger that is where the problem has started.

remingtons new triggers are the worst trigger systems i have ever been around thanks to the lawyers and the courts, you can not get a new trigger to break crisp and clean.

just my two cents worth.

Comment

Remington

Being shut down is a little extreme lol

I shoot Benelli and have for 8 years....having said that i never go to the field without my 870 under the back seat. Its a great gun, and they are not the most popular shotgun in the world for nothin....these are people looking for money and pursueing thier own personal agendas........Accidents happen.....no one should be standing infront of the barrell of a gun anytime ever

Comment

I agree with cyclone... I have seen $1500 AR's bump fire, I have had personally, a very nice O/U that fired when I slipped on the ice and it impacted the ground, safety on, and trigger not even touched, and had a pump that could fire with the safety engaged. After sending it to the maker, they fixed it, and I never used it again. I couldn't do it... any gun can have something happen, and thats exactly why you practice more than one safety measure at all times.
            Let's not jump on a company like them. The gun industry has enough headaches from anti hunters and anti gun people right now. We, the people that enjoy and use them safely and wisely don't need to add to it!
            Mark

Comment

I'm not defending or bashing Remington, but everyone keeps referring to thier 870. That is NOT one of the guns mentioned in the show. I agree 100% the 870 has been one of the best shotguns for years. However they did mention the 1100, 742, 700 models. Now the 1100 we have has never shown any signs of a problem, and the 700's that I have been around have never failed.

As I mentioned, if it is true, and Remington is liable, then there has been far to many reports for them to ignore. And serious action needs to happen to prevent it from happening again.

Comment

with the exception of someone tripping or falling, IMO if a gun goes off "accidently" and someone gets shot, it's not the gun company's fault. It's common sense not to point a loaded gun at anything your not intending on shooting and even an "unloaded" gun for that matter. It's not the gun company's fault people are irresponsible. I'm sure there are cases where maybe it's how the gun was made like some of the examples from above, but still. 99% can be avoided by simply being responsible. I personally always put my safety back on imediately after shooting without even thinking about it. Gun safety should be second nature to someone using them...just my opinion.

Comment

Remington made some bullet-proof guns, accidents happen with every brand out there. Personally i think they make the most reliable pump action shotgun ever to hit the market. I've never had experience with the model 700 so i cant speak on behalf of that but i will say I believe it would be Extreme to shut down the oldest american commercial gun maker.

Comment

I'll always have room in the safe for old wingmasters; but its glaringly obvious that the quality has dropped in the last 10 years across the entire line of Remington offerings. Plastic parts replacing metal parts, chambers not polished, gritty triggers, etc.

Comment

My father taught me a gun is always loaded, no matter what. I agree that remington products have gone downhill in the last 10 years tornadochaser. They just dont make em as good as they use to. Mark Brendemuehl, I think you hit the nail on the head. I have seen (1 time) and heard of various rifles AND shotguns going off when bumbed. I also believe the gun industry deals with enough as it is. I was upset with Rock Center; like almost all other media, you never see the flip-side of the coin. I'd love to see the ratio of total rounds ever fired through Remington products to the misfire rate. I'm not saying there isnt a problem, but we dont live in a perfect world. Another key element of this issue is the cleanliness of the guns that "misfired". Just an example here; if you never changed the oil in your car, eventually serious problems would arise. Same with a firearm if the working componets are gunked up.

Comment

Working...
                      X