X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tons of Ducks!

Up around here in SD, we have been seeing tons of ducks on what water is left, we found some water about a week ago with 900+ birds on it, thanks to the drought it should be a great year, anybody else seeing the same thing?

Surely they arent all mallards?

Comment

Originally posted by DOAwaterfowl2010 View Post
      Surely they arent all mallards?
      Of course not...they're Pintails

Comment

I'm seeing huge portions of water bone dry, ducks concentrated on what water is left. This whole drought situation may concentrate the birds more and into bigger groups but it will also concentrate hunters all into the same areas also. Should be an interesting fall.

Comment

Don't kid yourself fellas...this year could prove tougher than we think. Very little water around this year which will certainly keep the birds bunched up, BUT, as Josh said, so will be the hunters. Even though there will be tons of ducks, it remains to be seen what the concentrated pressure will do to the birds.

They may not stick around long....whats everybody else think?

Comment

Agreed. Having permission to any piece of private land with water will be money I'm hoping. We'll see!

Comment

Dont need permission when your dad owns five ponds/ sloughs full of ducks, you just let idiots shoot up the other spots on opener, then wait for the ducks to cram into your sloughs, should be a fun year for duck hunting.

Comment

Originally posted by Cootickler View Post
                Dont need permission when your dad owns five ponds/ sloughs full of ducks, you just let idiots shoot up the other spots on opener, then wait for the ducks to cram into your sloughs, should be a fun year for duck hunting.
                Cool story.

Comment

guess i'll be one of the "idiots" out hunting other sloughs...cant wait for duck season!

Comment

So anyone hunting on opener that isn't on one of your spots is an idiot? What happens when you start hunting your own sloughs, does that then make you yourself an idiot also?

Comment

No because all the hunters around me burn the sloughs right away, I like to sneak in early morning shoot a quick limit and sneak out not burning my spots.

Comment

its a good plan but why is everyone else idiots for hunting other places?

Comment

Some of those so called idiots as you call them probally kill 10X the ducks on those public sloughs that you do on dear old dads farm. I am taking it from your post you are rather young alot can happen in a short time so choose your words a little more careful next time. One day you may wanna hunt with some of us idiots that hunt public land

Comment

Man everyone is so sensitive. Idiots are 90% of the hunters in my area, high school kids who jump spots over and over until all the ducks are pushed out of the sloughs. No, I am not rather young, mid twenties to be exact...but good guess Nostradamus. Key word in your post "probally"

Comment

Originally posted by Cut'n um n VA View Post
                              Some of those so called idiots as you call them probally kill 10X the ducks on those public sloughs that you do on dear old dads farm. I am taking it from your post you are rather young alot can happen in a short time so choose your words a little more careful next time. One day you may wanna hunt with some of us idiots that hunt public land
                              read his previous posts.... he does not believe in choosing words carefully.

Comment

Working...
                              X