X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Killer Weed vs. Mojo Ghillie Bundles

Getting my first layout and was wanting to know what most guys use to brush their blind, the killer weed or mojo ghillie bundles. I am going to use alot of natural cover from each area I hunt, but want to get a little bit of stuff on there and be able to leave it on there. Any preference in the two or anything else?

i like to use mud.

seriously though; we hunt a lot of black fields due to the farmers chopping and ripping or chisel plowing right after combining; especially wheat stubble. also, we are starting to hunt more and more bean stubble, which leaves little natural cover, and a grassed up blind would look unnatural. i have yet to try the bundles of raffia grass or whatever, but i do like the idea of having some rigged up on clothes pins for hunting grassy water holes or something along those lines.

Comment

I've heard different guys talk about getting "raffia" grass and then dying it. Where do you get it?

Comment

any craft store should have it.

I use RIT dye---a combination of colours.

Comment

I spray painted mine with Krylon Fusion paint and then just throw on some natural cover and Im good to go.

Comment

Raffia Grass

Used it for years you can dye it paint it when i dye i used rit liquid and 5 gal bucket. You can get 5lbs from cabelas get the natural.To put it on your blind use medium binder clips & wire ties to hold it on the clip .Make your own it is a hell of a lot cheaper.I have green brown & natural.It last for ever & when it gets wet dry out fast. 5lbs cost 19.99 x shiping they some times have it on sale.5lbs will cover 2 blinds

Comment

you can get the raffia grass at walmart for $1.29 a pack. thats what i have on my two layouts. it works good you can paint it or whatever. its in the crafts section.

Comment

i use what ever field im hunting in. if its corn, i use corn. if its bean, i use beans. thats what those slots are for.... so you can camo them naturally

Comment

Beans

I don"t no were you hunt but here we grow white beans here when they take them out there is only bear ground.Plus you can leave the cover all the time we do add some corn works wery well for us

Comment

soybeans in Maryland. there is def enough left over to cover a few blinds here though. i mean i would never use grass or weeds it would stick out like a soar thumb.... late season geese cannot resist it here on the eastern shore

Comment

Grass

Well here in michigan we get them first .May be they have not got smarten up yet. we have done this for years Just can get a bean as big as my blind .Try it you might like it
                      Last edited by cornfieldbill; 05-19-2009, 01:48 PM.

Comment

I use quite a bit of Killerweed bundles on my blinds. I have them attached by using swivel plastic clips and just ziptie the KW onto those clips. Works well so I can change them or take them off if needed.

I do mud the bundles right after I make them to dull down the finish of the raffla right out of the box. Too shiny for me.

Comment

We hunt winter wheat down here in kansas and the killerweed is a lot brighter green the our wheat. so might depend where you hunt. If i was to do it over again, i would buy raffia grass and find a paint that is the most similar to the wheat or other crop in your area and paint the rafia grass that is unless you can use natural cover. natural cover is by far the best way to go.

Comment

Originally posted by ksgoosekiller View Post
                            We hunt winter wheat down here in kansas and the killerweed is a lot brighter green the our wheat. so might depend where you hunt. If i was to do it over again, i would buy raffia grass and find a paint that is the most similar to the wheat or other crop in your area and paint the rafia grass that is unless you can use natural cover. natural cover is by far the best way to go.
                            Yeah - our KW Winter Wheat was so green it left blue dye after rain. We fixed it with some spray paint.

Comment

I bought 35lbs from Franks.I have 5-6 hanks left, 5 blinds covered in raffia: a couple bags as backup and most of my buddies have what they need.
                              I used Moss green wood dye,.
                              Winterwheat changes colors as it gets later in the season and I will change out some of the bright green to the yellow green walmarts and some craft stores will have what you need
                              Dont geet caught up in a brand,.. buy what matches the fields you hunt best or make it match your fields

Comment

Working...
                              X