X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Geese fly in high winds?

The weather here is going to be brutal for wind the next few days. Saw a good number of geese in one of my fields this morning. I can't hunt until Friday but they're calling fro 25mph+ winds with gusts up to 50mph. Little to no rain/snow though. I really want to get at em' I've shot this field several times yet geese always seem to use it. Its a bit far from thier roost though, just wondering if they'll hold tight in that kind of wind.

if you are in the field they want into they will come, strong wind is awesome! I find they will commit easier if it is really windy especially if they have flown a quite a way to get there.

Comment

HAve a good hide high winds means longer for them to get a good look when they are hanging there. Be patient let them get right in the hole to maximize your second and third shot. I love hunting honkers in the wind.

Comment

when it comes to wind it can either be your best friend or your worst enemy.... either they will not want to fight it and fly on or they will want to get down fast, hopefully for you it is the latter good luck

Comment

Originally posted by beak buster View Post
          when it comes to wind it can either be your best friend or your worst enemy.... either they will not want to fight it and fly on or they will want to get down fast, hopefully for you it is the latter good luck
          Yep, what he said.

The other thing, is batten down the hatches on your decoys. You'll be spending some time re-setting them. But sometimes they still come in with decoys blowing around.

Comment

Originally posted by ShotCaller View Post
            Yep, what he said.

The other thing, is batten down the hatches on your decoys. You'll be spending some time re-setting them. But sometimes they still come in with decoys blowing around.
            I'm actually impressed by my dekes. I have all shells (small car, need to be portable). 2 doz Higdon oversize, and 1/2 doz. Higdon motion feeders. I drilled holes and use GHG motion sticks with the oversize, and I've hunted brutal wind before and they all stayed on the sticks. The motion feeders I have to drive down a bit to keep them from spinning around.

Thanks for the tips guys. 12 hour shift tomorrow but I'm hoping I can scout a bit more and get out Friday.

Comment

Couldn't agree more, being patient is key.

Originally posted by Take A Gander View Post
              HAve a good hide high winds means longer for them to get a good look when they are hanging there. Be patient let them get right in the hole to maximize your second and third shot. I love hunting honkers in the wind.

Comment

Working...
              X