X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Handler's jacket?

Where is the best place to purchase a handler's jacket, or does anyone know if Avery is making one or going to make a jacket in the future?

To my knowledge, there are no immediate plans for Avery to produce a handler's jacket, though I'd be first in line for one. In the meantime, check out www.dogsafield.com. Jerry Day is a true gentleman and runs a topnotch dog supply store, and carries all other Avery dog training supplies to boot.

Comment

Avery is going to make a handlers jacket...I just need to prove enough people want one. Who wants em'?

Jaybo...How many do you need?

JT

Comment

I know we could sell a ton down here. I need one in a 4T for Ella, JT. She needs to get trained right now for being a BB.

Comment

Originally posted by Justin Tackett
          Avery is going to make a handlers jacket...I just need to prove enough people want one. Who wants em'?

JT
          Need at least two myself, a weekly training jacket and a weekend special. I'm sure there's one or two other people around here that might need one.

Comment

Originally posted by Justin Tackett

JT
            Let's see here JT.......

one for summer
            one for winter
            one for rain
            one that is reversible

that should do it! Now if you could design one that is specific to training vs one that is used for trials that would be a plus too, you'll know what I'm talking about....the pockets on most of the ones out there today are useless.

you need to make it happen as handler jackets are starting to look like nascar uniforms
            Last edited by Wesley Hamm; 03-27-2007, 08:21 PM.

Comment

Wes,
              Let's talk about a Summer training jacket. I see mesh...what do we need it to hold? Avery could make one in camo/black for HRC/AKC tests as well.

Be great for warm weather shooting Dove/Teal and anyday in the deep, deep south.

JT
              Last edited by Justin Tackett; 03-27-2007, 09:33 PM.

Comment

I need two one for me and one for my son. Needs to hold bumpers and birds, blank pistols.

Mike

Comment

Check out Lion Country Gundog Supply. They have a nice one for about 50 bucks. It has a mesh backing for the warmer days.

www.lcsupply.com

Comment

JT,

The main problem I have with the jackets we have out there now are the fact that they are still very warm when you wear them in the summer months of Louisiana. The mesh backing is nice but you still have the solid arms and front which make the jackets warmer than I would personally like. Perhaps you could go with the lower part (pockets and bottom) in a solid cotton for support and the upper part (torso and back) in the mesh.

I would like to have clips attached around the pocket areas (like the ones attached to most waders) for hanging remote electronics, etc. You know we only have two hands yet we are trying to hold a transmitter for the ecollar, transmitter for the wingers, a healing stick and who knows what else (some even use the gun in training). If you had attachments along the pockets then you could easily access these tools without having to hold them and leave your hands free. Most transmitters now don't weigh alot and it wouldn't take much to support them. You could even put an attachment on the back of the jacket for a heeling stick for those who like to hide the stick during training! LOL

On another note the first thing to go most of the time on my jackets is the zipper. Why not make a 1/2 zip pullover style so that even if the zipper goes out the jacket is still usable.....make sense?

There are tons of things that could be approved upon and I'm sure those with more experience than I have would have several ideas. I just have a couple of dogs but you know I demand equipment that works or else I'll get something else

Comment

Oh man! Another vote here for an Avery handler jacket! I just bought one from Dogs Afield that is not too bad. Golden Lake has some nice ones as well with black along the sleeves for increased visibility. A little on the high side, but they seem nice. http://www.goldenlakejackets.com/jackets2.html

I'm with Wes on needing something a little more useful with pockets and such.

Comment

Originally posted by wesleyhamm
                        JT,

The main problem I have with the jackets we have out there now are the fact that they are still very warm when you wear them in the summer months of Louisiana. The mesh backing is nice but you still have the solid arms and front which make the jackets warmer than I would personally like. Perhaps you could go with the lower part (pockets and bottom) in a solid cotton for support and the upper part (torso and back) in the mesh.

I would like to have clips attached around the pocket areas (like the ones attached to most waders) for hanging remote electronics, etc. You know we only have two hands yet we are trying to hold a transmitter for the ecollar, transmitter for the wingers, a healing stick and who knows what else (some even use the gun in training). If you had attachments along the pockets then you could easily access these tools without having to hold them and leave your hands free. Most transmitters now don't weigh alot and it wouldn't take much to support them. You could even put an attachment on the back of the jacket for a heeling stick for those who like to hide the stick during training! LOL

On another note the first thing to go most of the time on my jackets is the zipper. Why not make a 1/2 zip pullover style so that even if the zipper goes out the jacket is still usable.....make sense?

There are tons of things that could be approved upon and I'm sure those with more experience than I have would have several ideas. I just have a couple of dogs but you know I demand equipment that works or else I'll get something else
                        Keep it coming....I'm writing it all down. Good stuff. Matthews can get them made right at a reasonable price. I have an all mesh coat that golden lake makes called Southern Comfort...I think. Regardless I really like the half zipper idea a lot. How bout a velcro flap/or snap on the back of your collar to keep your lanyard off your neck?

I'd also like to see a snap on the front for your lanyard to keep your whistles from beating your dog in the head when you move up before you send. What else?

JZ! What's up buddy...how's your pup doing?

JT

Comment

why not put shell loops somewhere on it for the Hunt Test folks to hold primers/poppers for manning a gun station for FT setups.

I really like the idea of a button to hold back the lanyard.....good idea!

Have a snap closure for the cuffs, the jacket I use now had the little velco straps and they didn't do anything so I had to cut the length of the arms off to fit properly. If it would have had adjustable snaps then I wouldn't have had to cut on a brand new jacket. Give the bottom of it a drawstring so it isn't baggy at the bottom as well. Those two steps and you can make the fit alot better.

Why not go with a material like most workout clothes or like the warm weather under armour is made of now, sheds sweat alot better and dries extremely fast unlike the cotton ones we have now. Every other golf shirt that I see now is made of a special material to help with warm weather. just a thought.

But we both know you gotta be able to Bleach that sucker so it'll be bright white even after those muddy training sessions.

This wouldn't really work for the warm weather jackets but I've never seen a jacket that is reversible from Camo to White. We have Black/white but no camo/white. Alot of HT people train using white yet they need the camo to run in.
                          Last edited by Wesley Hamm; 03-28-2007, 12:14 AM.

Comment

I'm still planning on making it down there sometime, even thinking about Dyersburg with the old man.

As long I remember to have as much patience with him as he does with me, we'll be alright.

Comment

I think the snaps to hold back lanyard are a great idea, I would also like to see a jacket that has something like a game pocket in the back for dummies, atb's, etc. for those of us whom have to walk in to good training water. I also second the idea of D-rings for clipping your electronics, or even whistles to. Another thought might be to make one in fleece for cool weather and then one in mesh for summer training. I also like the reversible idea so that the average working guy can buy one jacket and use it for both hunt tests and everyday training.

I think the material should be a solid material that is made to keep you cool, ie: the golf shirt or pant material, as I think the mesh would not stand up as well and might not support the things some of us will be carrying.

Some handlers and trainers that use bird boys would probably purchase two or three. I myself would buy two, one for whomever can make it to throw birds/dummies for me that day and one for me.

Comment

Working...
                              X